These sandwiches are a TOTAL crowd pleaser. I whipped these up last weekend after a morning at the beach and they were literally devoured in a few minutes. Gone. Poof! Simple, delicious, and not terrible for you…the perfect way to level up your sandwich game with minimal effort.
I love nothing more than creating something spectacular out of really simple ingredients. The feta cheese / basil combo really takes this grilled pita sandwich to a whole new level!
The ingredients in this sandwich are generally on hand in our house, but any of them can be easily substituted! Think oregano instead of basil, provolone if you’re not into feta, grilled chicken instead of turkey, etc. The whole point is to elevate the basic sandwich and treat yourself to a little somethin’ special.
Grilled Pita Sammies
- 2 slices Greek Pita My favorite is Papa Pita White Flat Bread
- 1 oz Sheep's Milk Feta Cheese, crumbled
- Thin Sliced Deli Turkey I prefer Boar's Head Mesquite Smoked Turkey
- 1 Tablespoon Newman's Own Organic Oil & Vinegar Dressing
- 3-4 thin slices Ripe Tomato
- Jane's Krazy Mixed Up Salt Sea Salt will work great if you can't find / don't have Jane's
- 1 Handful Baby Spinach, Torn
- 1 Handful Basil Leaves, Torn
- Heat Skillet to Medium / Med High Heat
- Add pita to the skillet and layer in the crumbled feta cheese, then sliced tomato. Season the tomatoes to taste with Jane's Krazy salt.
- Top with turkey, then add the torn spinach and basil. Drizzle the spinach and basil with the oil & vinegar dressing, then top with remaining pita and grill for another minute or so, then flip.
- After flipping, press the sandwich down using a grill press or plate, skillet lid, etc.
- Once the pita is evenly toasted, cheese is melted, etc. - remove from the skillet and let it rest for a minute or so.
- Cut into 4 wedges and serve it up!