There is nothing like a large pot of chili to usher in cooler weather! I traditionally make my first batch of chili for the fall / winter season on Halloween. It is a great serve-yourself meal when there is so much going on with the excitement of the Halloween celebration and trick-or-treating. This recipe is for an Instant Pot but can easily be modified for a dutch oven or slow cooker.
Three Pepper Beef Chili
- 2 tbsp oil (I used vegetable)
- 3 lbs ground chuck
- 1 (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 oz) whole tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 (15-ounce) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion
- 2 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and large-diced
- 1 yellow pepper, cored, seeded, and large-diced
- 1 red pepper, cored, seeded, and large-diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- Turn on the Instant Pot saute feature and heat 1T of the oil. Add beef, and cook until browned and crumbly; drain well and set aside. Rinse out the pot and return to the base.
- Turn the saute feature back on and add the remaining 1T of oil. Cook the onions for 10 minutes, adding garlic and cooking it for an additional minute, followed by the peppers, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, cayenne, and salt.
- Once the vegetables have softened and are fragrant, stir in the cooked beef, tomatoes, and beans until well combined. Close and seal the lid, then turn on the bean / chili cook feature. Allow the pressure to release naturally, and serve at your leisure - feel free to leave on keep warm, it is practically impossible to mess it up.
- My go-to toppings include: shredded Cheddar cheese, sour cream, sweet & hot jalapeños. Serve with fresh cornbread and enjoy!