I whipped this chili up last night, and it is truly the best turkey / black bean chili I have ever had!! Keith AND Avery loved it (though you may want to ease up on the cayenne if you’re cooking it for your kiddos). It is easy to make, naturally gluten-free, and SO flavorful and delicious. The secret ingredient is the white balsamic vinegar!
Apparently I am now that person who cooks her own beans from scratch, thanks to the Instant Pot. I have a feeling you might start cooking your own beans from scratch, too, once you see how easy and affordable it is (not to mention they also have better texture, are better for you, AND a bag of beans takes up less room in the pantry than cans).
But the main reason I am sharing this recipe is because it is so easy to substitute ingredients – a MUST while we are Coronavirus quarantining, amiright?! No avocado oil? Use coconut! No ground turkey? Use ground beef. You’re a vegetarian? Sub in some diced red / orange / yellow peppers for the ground turkey. No black beans? Use kidney! Go crazy with it – you catch my drift.
Instant Pot Black Bean Turkey Chili
- 8 oz Dried Black Beans
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 4 Cups water
- 1 T Avocado Oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Smashed
- 1 Large Onion, Chopped
- 4 oz Can Diced Green Chiles
- 1 Lb Ground Turkey
- 3 tsp Fajita Seasoning
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 T White Balsamic Vinegar
- 28 oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Lime
Black Beans - No Soak Method
- Add dried black beans, 2 bay leaves, and 4 cups of water in the bowl of the Instant Pot and give it a quick stir. Cover with lid and seal. Manually set the Instant Pot to cook for 20 minutes at high pressure. When the timer goes off, let the steam pressure naturally release for at least 20 minutes before attempting to remove the lid. Pour the beans into a colander in the sink and let it drain while you are preparing the other ingredients.
- Set the Instant Pot to the "saute" feature and add the avocado oil. Once the oil is hot, add the smashed garlic, chopped onion and can of diced chiles. When these are fragrant, add the block of ground turkey.
- While one side of the ground turkey block is browning, season the other side with fajita seasoning, salt and cayenne. Flip the "block" over, and once it has been browning a couple of minutes start breaking the meat up and mix all of the ingredients together.
- Ensure that the ground turkey is well browned. Add the 3 Tablespoons of White Balsamic Vinegar to deglaze the pot (this also provides an amazing flavor kick!).
- Once the pot has been deglazed, turn off the saute feature. Mix in the can of crushed tomatoes and the cooked beans. Manually set the Instant Pot to cook for 10 minutes at high pressure. When the timer goes off, do a quick release.
- Remove the lid, add the juice of 1 lime, cover with lid and seal. Manually set the Instant Pot to cook for 3 additional minutes at high pressure (you don't want to cook citrus juice for too long in a pressure cooker, hence the extra step). When the timer goes off, let the steam pressure naturally release.
- Garnish chili with lime wedges from the other 1/2 of the lime and be creative with whatever toppings you have around! You can also stop with avocado, sour cream, cilantro, shredded cheddar cheese, Trader Joe's Sweet & Hot Jalapeños, and occasionally corn chips....be creative with whatever you have on hand!